Saturday, May 14, 2011

Living Every Day Like Its Your Last!!


I had to share this...
 
This was a post from one of the blogs I read.  
If there is one thing I have taken from this experience with my Uncle, is live every moment to the fullest, tell those you love how much you love them, don't sweat the small things, because you never know when your last day will be...


I see being a Mom like anything else. The more you practice it, the better you get at it. Just like riding a bike, or playing an instrument. I think my kids would agree if you asked them. I am not the same person I was 10 or 12 years ago. God has done a lot in me during that time. He has used my kids often to refine and mold me. I am a better person and a better Mother because of them.


I have been told numerous times that I must have loads of patience. Patience is something that is learned. It is not something we are born with. It is not something we can one day just wake up with. In fact, I a firm believer that the more you are tested, the more patience you acquire. I have seen this in my own life. I am much more patient now than I was a decade ago. It has taken time to get where I am. I did not just wake up one day oozing with patience. Does this mean that I never lose my cool? Absolutely not. I am human, not a superwoman. However, I do feel that patience is something I had to learn. And the more I have practiced it, the better I have gotten at it. Don't believe me? Just give it try. Start practicing some patience and before you know it, you will become an expert.


I used to sweat the small things. I used to freak out when the house was messy or someone spilled a drink. I freaked out when things got chaotic. Or when the 2 year old had a tantrum in Walmart. Things change. And I am so glad they do. Because now, I don't really care that much what my house looks like. We live here. It can't be a museum and it certainly is not worth making myself insane about. Spills.. they happen too. And getting upset over it isn't going to get it cleaned up. It took me a while to realize that everyone's 2 year old has tantrums in public at some point. It happens. I have learned to take things in stride.


I used to have to make sure every time we left the house everyone looked perfect. I liked their hair combed. Their outfits to be matching and their faces and hands to be clean. I admit, I like the clean part, but in terms of everything else... I am just happy if we make it out of the house and everyone has underwear on under their clothes. Seriously, why did I waste *so* much time caring about any of it? These days, Lulu is often seen out in public wearing a tutu, her favorite baseball cap and sporting her infamous cowboy boots. She will only be two once. Does it really matter how she looks when we are out?


I think the greatest thing I have learned on this journey of Motherhood, is how very precious every moment truly is. Once upon a time I didn't understand this. I wished for the baby to sleep through the night. I wished for the toddler years to pass more quickly. I hurried through life. I couldn't wait for the next stage. The thing is, they go fast enough on their own without me trying to make them pass faster. If I could I would go back and just enjoy my children more. I would relish each moment longer. I would drink in the sweetness of each newborn baby. I would marvel at the adorableness of my toddlers. I would laugh more and stress less. I wouldn't wish a single moment away.


I am loved every second of my last few children's babyhood. I don't care how tired I am. It doesn't matter if they are fussy. Or if the house doesn't get cleaned because I am holding them all day. All too quick they aren't a baby anymore and all of this time with them will be a distant memory. With each baby I have, I enjoy them that much more. And each one that comes, comes also the realization of how very fast time goes by and how precious each moment is. They are gift. Motherhood is a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment